Tooth Extraction Care
At Parkside Dental Care, we always try our best to attempt every solution to fix a problem tooth. Unfortunately, there are certain instances where our recommendation is a tooth extraction. This is the process of fully removing the tooth and tooth root from the mouth. Even though permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, there are instances where care or injury changes that outcome.
Why Would I Need an Extraction?
There can be many reasons that patients need to have a tooth removed. Some patients have medical conditions that cause teeth to decay and other patients have problems that are a little more involved such as:
- Severe infection that cannot be treated by a root canal
- Loose tooth due to extreme gum disease and cannot be saved
- Tooth damaged or decayed beyond repair due to an accident or neglect
Procedure and Recovery
Our goal is to keep you as comfortable during the procedure as possible. We understand that not knowing what to expect during the extraction can be a little nerve-wracking. We assure you that we use great care and skill to be sure that you experience no discomfort during the procedure.
Following the procedure, we provide you with post-treatment instructions to properly take care during the healing process. Some recovery care we recommend:
- Rest for 24 hours and limit activity over the following few days
- Avoid eating on the impacted side of the mouth
- Eat soft or liquid foods, such as soup, yogurt, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, Jell-o, and pudding, being sure to avoid hard, crunchy, and chewy foods
- Avoid any sucking motion through a straw or smoking
We will also discuss tooth replacement options that we feel will best fit your lifestyle and situation. It can be upsetting to need a tooth extracted, and we want to get a replacement that will help you smile again as soon as possible.
To avoid tooth extractions, it is important to remain diligent with your dental hygiene visits. If you have not recently been to see us for a hygiene visit and dental exam, please contact our office located in Montgomery, AL to schedule your next appointment. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to help you with anything you need!